As we move into 2023, now is the time to position your gym marketing strategy to acquire new members in the new year.
It is well known that the fitness industry was hit hard by the pandemic, with revenue decreasing 32% in 2020. The industry bounced back quickly in 2021 to near pre-pandemic levels. Between now and 2028, the fitness industry in the U.S. is expected to grow 171.75% to $434.74 billion
Currently, according to the 2022 AudienceSCAN® survey, 15.1% of US adults are members of a fitness club or gym. When members were asked their top reason for joining, 34% indicated price and 33% convenience.
Among individuals who were not gym members, club-intel.com reported that 87% said they would consider joining. The top reasons they would consider joining were overall fitness (56%) and weight loss (31.9%).
As you plan your gym marketing strategy, keep in mind that fitness club and gym members respond to advertising across a variety of channels—the strongest being ads or coupons in the mailbox.
Fitness Club/Gym Members Advertising Response Past 12 months:
- 62% – responded to ads/coupons in the mailbox
- 61% responded to streaming TV
- 57% responded to a pre-roll video ad
- 56% responded to an internet banner ad
Acquire New Members with a Marketing Strategy Anchored by Direct Mail + Amplified with Digital
Engage your target audience with coordinated campaigns anchored by direct mail and amplified with digital ads to grow your membership and make the most of your advertising spend. Here’s why:
- More Personal: 70% of consumers say direct mail is more personal than online interactions.
- Longer Shelf Life: Advertising mail is kept in a household for 17 days on average.
- Higher Open Rates: Direct mail open rates can reach up to 90%
- High Likelihood to Purchase: 62% of consumers who responded to direct mail in the past three months made a purchase.
- Increased Response + Conversion: Direct Mail + Digital advertising boost response rates 118% and conversion rates by 28% versus print alone
- More Website Visits: 92% of consumers are driven to online activity after receiving direct mail
Target New Movers to Your Community with Personalized Offers
Targeting new movers in communities where you operate should be an important component of your gym marketing strategy. The 1.75+ million people who move every month spend an average of $9,000+ and make more than 70 brand decisions. Be the first to connect with these movers as they look for a new gym or fitness center in their new community. Mspark’s quality data sources are updated more often than competitor data, enabling you to reach up to 15% more movers. Our trigger-based Quick Connect program helps you reach movers ahead of competitors by delivering your message to their mailbox in as little as 4-5 days.
Check out our case studies to see how other gyms and fitness centers have benefitted from partnering with Mspark to achieve their membership goals. Reach out today to plan your strategy.
22 Fulfilling Fitness Industry Statistics : Home Workout and Gym Statistics – Zippia; Club Industry Consulting (club-intel.com); AdMall AudeinceSCAN 2022; USPS Mail Moments Survey, Spring 2021; Fundera.com, direct-mail-statistics, 2020; Retail Wire, 2022; Millward Brown Print Campaign Analysis; Simplifi; Speedeon.