Consumers in our markets represent an $11.4 billion opportunity for hardware retailers, with a higher percentage of home ownership and a greater likelihood to “DIY” when it comes to projects around the home. How can you optimize your marketing mix to capture these consumers and drive traffic to your store or website? Keep reading and download our infographic to set your marketing strategy up for success.
Are you targeting the right consumers in your advertising campaigns?
Consumers in Mspark markets should be at the top of the hardware retailer’s target list. Why, you ask?
1. 65% of homeowners in our geography own their own home.
- That’s 18,070,000 households
- And an average $633 annual hardware spend
ANNUAL MARKET POTENTIAL: $11,438,310,000
2. Our consumer’s life is centered around the home.
- 47% more likely to live on a 1+ acre lot
- 35% more likely to be a DIYer
- 30% more likely to have a home flower or vegetable garden
3. Consumers in our geography are more likely to “DIY”
Our consumers are more likely to have purchased home improvement supplies and completed the project themselves in the past 12 months than their urban counterparts:
- Install carpet – 46% more likely
- Install ceramic tile flooring – 60% more likely
- Install kitchen sink – 150% more likely
- Install bathroom plumbing – 69% more likely
- Install water heater – 58% more likely
- Install outdoor light fixtures – 70% more likely
- Build outdoor deck – 125% more likely
- Work with lumber – 62% more likely
4. Consumers in our geography are also more likely than their urban counterparts to own the tools they need to complete home improvement projects, including:
- Portable generator – 57% more likely
- Radial arm saw – 56% more likely
- Wet/dry shop vac – 29% more likely
- Air compressor – 51% more likely
- Band saw – 43% more likely
- Bench/table circular saw – 44% more likely
- Electric planer – 53% more likely
- Electric ratchet – 46% more likely
- Electric router – 49% more likely
- Electric sander – 39% more likely
5. What advertising medium influences homeowners the most?
Ads they receive in their mailbox!
- 63% of homeowners in the U.S. said they usually read the offers they receive in their mailbox.
- 57% responded to an ad or coupon in their mailbox in the past 12 months.
- 33% said direct mail is the best source for finding coupons.
6. Does your marketing plan drive results now, for the rest of 2020, and into 2021?
Retool your strategy to gain customers now and continue to build into 2021 and beyond with a marketing mix that positions you to capture your most profitable customers with our targeted solutions:
- The Mspark Quick Response New Mover program is a value-oriented, fast-to-market postcard that gives hardware retailers the ability to reach movers to your area first and turn them into long-term customers.
- 70 brand decisions are made during a move, many related to hardware & home.
- Consumers spend an average of $9,000 during a move.
- Drive traffic back to stores and increase online sales by boosting your circular with Mspark’s reach. We offer strategies to increase distribution by strategically targeting your best customers to increase store or website traffic and increase ROI.
- Use Mspark’s network of 28 million – in 69 markets across the East, Southeast & Midwest.
- Retain subscriber delivery, eliminate hand-delivered TMCs, use direct mail in the highest potential geographies.
- Use newspaper in zip codes with strong paid circulation (50%+) and use Mspark direct mail in zip codes where circulation is weak.
“Mspark’s shared mail program helps us increase store traffic each month by reaching homeowners that no longer subscribe to the newspaper. We look forward to our continued successful partnership with Mspark.”
By partnering with Mspark, you leverage direct mail experts who are familiar with your industry and needs. We offer full service: data analytics, design, print, postage, delivery, and reporting, as well as a variety of products to fit your budget and goals. Download our infographic to keep this helpful information at your fingertips and see success stories to inspire your planning. Reach out to discuss your goals and strategy today!
Sources: Simmons consumer survey, AdMall Monthly Consumer Survey, Criteo study, PYMNTS.com via Retail Dive Brief, Valassis.com