Currently, more than half of U.S. consumers do not own a phone with 5G capabilities. This presents a significant opportunity for mobile services marketers to acquire new customers. One-third of consumers say 5G capability is important to them; that number increases to 45% of consumers ages 18-34. Demand for 5G is expected to drive telecom sales in 2022.
Potential mobile service switchers offer another opportunity for mobile services providers to target and acquire customers.
30% of U.S. consumers plan to switch mobile/wireless phone providers within the next year:
- 14% in the next 6-12 months
- 9% in the next 3-6 months
- 7% in the next 3 months.
Of these potential phone switchers, 93% are considering a smartphone purchase.
- 52% of those are considering Apple iOS
- 50% are considering purchasing an Android device.
What are these consumers looking for as they consider switching providers? The top factors are pricing/value, coverage area, and data plan.
Strategically target these potential customers based on their geographic location, service eligibility, buying habits and any other criteria you may have and then reach them with messaging that emphasizes the value you can offer.
What’s the most effective way to reach these consumers? Multi-channel
A significant percentage of potential wireless service switchers have responded to ads across multiple channels in the past 12 months:
Convert new customers by leveraging multi-channel campaigns.
- Shelf life: 70% of consumers look at ads they receive in the mail and keep them an average of 14.5 days. A print ad has a shelf life that digital ads don’t have.
- Online Research: 46% of consumers were encouraged to go online and seek out more information about a brand due to a mail ad, according to a 2020 study.
- Awareness + Recall: Consumers who see an ad both in print and digital media are more likely to notice the ad (52%) and remember the message (52%), according to the same study.
- Competitive Blunting: As budget-conscious consumers consider their options, competitive blunting is key to keep your brand top-of-mind. Place it in your customer or prospect’s mailbox to reinforce your brand and blunt competitors and extend your reach and response with digital ads.
- Drive Action: By reinforcing awareness developed online, we can help you drive the next action step.
Want more compelling acquisition strategies?
Read our telecom services marketing case studies to learn more about how we can help you reach your advertising goals:
- Acquire new customers at a lower CPA
- Upsell current customers through custom targeting
- Achieve year-over-year customer growth
Reach out today to plan your strategy!
Sources: Prosper Insights & Analytics Monthly Consumer Survey, Morning Consult, Marketingcharts.com, AdMall AudienceSCAN 2021, Simplifi, Millward Brown Print Campaign Analysis, Vericast (formerly Valassis) Awareness to Action Study, Vericast.com